WHITE BALLOON DAY
NATIONAL CHALK ART PROJECT
Bravehearts is holding a nationwide Chalk Art Project in the hope of inspiring artists young and old to help us BREAK THE SILENCE on child sexual assault and PROTECT KIDS this White Balloon Day. Contributions to the project will be featured across Bravehearts’ social media networks all throughout Child Protection Week (starting September 3) in the lead up to White Balloon Day on September 8, 2017.
The theme is WHITE BALLOON DAY, therefore your mural must incorporate white balloons. However, you can also include drawings of people (ie holding the balloons), or perhaps you would like to include a landscape? We will leave that to your creative minds.
There are three categories for the project:
- Schools and Childcare Centres: This includes both primary and secondary schools. Childcare Centres, Early Learning Centres, Out of School Hours Care groups are also eligible to submit in this category.
- Individuals: Would you like to create a mural by yourself or in conjunction with your family and/or friends? Then this is the category for you to submit.
- Businesses, Organisations, Community Groups: Includes Businesses big and small, and groups such as church groups, sporting clubs, Scouts, Girl Guides, art groups, Rotary or Lions Clubs, etc.
Two winners in each category will be selected; one chosen by Bravehearts and the other a ‘people’s choice’, based on votes via Bravehearts’ Facebook page.
The two winning submissions in each category will be awarded a Personal Safety Education Resource Pack for your school, childcare centre or community group. This pack will include Bravehearts’ personal safety programs, Ditto in a Box and CyberEcho (workbook), together valued at over $200, as well as a variety of Bravehearts merchandise.
HOW TO ENTER
Download and complete the SUBMISSION FORM and send in to Bravehearts, along with your photographs by September 1st 2017. Please read our guide below on how to go about creating your mural.
OPENING AND CLOSING DATES
Project submissions open on JULY 1st, 2017 and Bravehearts will begin accepting submissions from this date. Submissions close on Thursday September 7, 2017. Winners will be announced on White Balloon Day, September 8th 2017.
CREATE YOUR MURAL: A STEP BY STEP GUIDE
- Choose a spot to create your mural: If you are a school, suggested locations include the quadrangle, tuck shop/canteen area, car park, blank brick wall, pathways, basketball courts, etc. If you are an individual or community group you could use your driveway, a blank wall, shed or garage. NOTE: If you choose to create your mural in an outdoor area, keep in mind weather conditions – make sure you have enough time to create the mural and photograph it before the chance of rain could wash it all away!
- Decide who will be involved: For school, childcare and community groups, we suggest involving your children as much as possible. Whether it is one class, a whole grade, or the entire school, as long as the mural is a representation of your kids, then it will be beautiful.
- Plan your design: The design is completely up to you, as long as it involves white balloons! You may like to also get the kids to draw portraits of themselves into the mural, or include a landscape or landmark that is significant to your school. Your design could be one large picture or you may wish to divide the space up into a grid, allocating one square on the grid to each child. Alternatively, you may prefer to get an adult to draw in the outline of the design and get the kids to fill it in. It’s up to you!
- Gather your materials: All you need is white chalk and lots of it! Chalk is lots of fun to work with, and you can create great blending effects buy using a little bit of water, sponges and cloths.
- Choose your create-date: Plan the day you’re going to create your mural. As mentioned above, if it is being created in an outdoor space, keep in mind weather conditions. Entries open July 1st, so even though White Balloon Day isn’t actually until September 8th, you can create and enter your mural well before.
- Photograph it: This is important! Take lots of pictures of your masterpiece and send them in to us here at Bravehearts, along with your entry form. We will be featuring the artworks all throughout Child Protection Week on our Facebook page. PLEASE NOTE: When photographing your mural, please ensure that only those children with media clearance appear in the photographs. If you are not sure, then it’s best to be on the safe side and make sure that no kids appear in the photos you take – your beautiful artwork will speak for itself!
- Submit your mural: Download and complete the submission form (see link below) and send in to Bravehearts, along with your photographs by the closing date of September 1st 2017.